Saturday, June 26, 2010
Small Talk Six: My Moon, My (Little) Man
6 Ways We Spoil the Center of Our Universe:
1. Snacks: I resisted this one for a long time, but the grandparents won and he now gets more than I would like of graham crackers, ice cream, and Nilla Wafers. And even I can't help but to indulge him occasionally.
2. Cooking special for him.
3. Getting special gifts from EVERYONE. Toys, swim gear, toys, clothes,toys, shoes. Actually, I rarely spoil him in this department because all of the aunties have it pretty well covered to the point where he's probably going to start to expect some cool threads everytime they come to visit (even if they just saw him the week before).
4. Constant attention, adoration, and applause at every little thing he does. All he has to do is flash those big blues and we all go crazy.
* * Have you figured out yet that not only is he our first child, but the first grandchild/nephew on both sides? So, yeah, he is the man and knows it.
5. Watching TV. Sometimes when he's reached that over-tired walking around and throwing tantrums for no other reason than he won't give up part of his day to nap, the only thing that will settle him down is Handy Manny or Sesame Street. And sometimes I need 10 minutes to wash dishes/cook without him clinging to my leg.
6. Alright, here it goes -- the worst way I in which I spoil him that will surely be haunting me months from now: putting him to bed by bringing him to bed with me and transfering him to his once he is out. He refuses to go to sleep on his own. Letting him tire himself out crying? Lasts HOURS. Really. So, when he got too big to rock to sleep I started this bad little habit. Truth be told, it's one of my favorite times of day. How much longer will we snuggle and sing until he sweetly drifts away? Every day he grows more and more independent of me, except for this precious time. I know I need to stop this soon, but I want to be selfish for a little while longer.